Conditions for the Aqd of Nikah
1. The aqd of nikah can only be in written form for those who cannot utter it verbally (genuine disability); otherwise it must be pronounced.
2. It must be in ‘Arabic. If there is no one who can recite it in ‘Arabic then only is it to be read in the language understood by both parties.
3. The aqd must be pronounced* correctly.
4. The niyya must be of implementation in the present as words used are those of the past tense. (Niyya of Insha’ – meaning to record it now – thus the term ‘kasde insha’).
5. The aqd must be completed in the same sitting. i.e. The answer must be spontaneous.
*Often there is a repetition of the aqd using various prepositions.
MUSTAHABAT FOR THE AQD OF NIKAH
1. To recite the khutba (praise of Allah, ahadith…) before the aqd of nikah.
2. To recite the aqd of nikah at night.
3. To have witnesses.
4. To announce the nikah.
5. To take the name of the groom/bride in the aqd.
MAKRUHAT FOR THE AQD OF NIKAH
1. To recite nikah at the time when the moon passes through the phase of scorpion for 2.5 days.
Adapted from the book: "Nikah & Beyond" by: "qfatima.com"
Share this article