Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour ( not self-rising)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa and 3/4 cup granulated sugar together 3 times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites at low speed in a large mixer bowl until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt.
- Gradually increase speed to medium while beating in remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, 5 minutes.
- When sugar is incorporated, continue beating to stiff peaks, 2 minutes more.
- Sift one third of dry ingredients over whites; gently fold in with rubber spatula.
- Repeat process 2 more times.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut through batter to remove air pockets.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until top springs back when gently pressed.
- Invert and hang pan on neck of bottle to cool.
- To unmold, run a thin knife around side of pan and tube; invert pan.
- Turn cake upright onto serving plate.
- Garnish with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Share this article