Eid Recipe: Klaicha (date-filled pastry)
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
500g/17½oz plain flour
80g/2¾oz caster sugar
250g/8¾oz unsalted butter, cubed
3 tsp rosewater
60ml/2¼fl oz water
250g/8¾oz stoned dates
2 tbsp butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/360F/Gas 4.
2. Make the pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour and sugar.
3. Sprinkle over the rose water, add the water and mix to make a firm dough.
4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge while you prepare the dates.
5. Chop the stoned dates and sauté them in butter.
6. When the dates are cool, take some of the pastry dough and make a round ball the size of a large walnut. Flatten in the hands, add some cooled dates and fold over into a small crescent.
7. Prick the edges with a fork.
8. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Tess Mallos in 'The Complete Middle East Cookbook', published by Grub Street.
Share this article