Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) white whole wheat flour
- 1/2teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2cup(s) trans fat-free vegetable oil spread (60% to 70% oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- On sheet of waxed paper, stir together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat sugar and vegetable oil spread until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg and vanilla, then beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- Divide dough in half; flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. With 2-inch cookies cutters, cut out as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. With lightly floured spatula, place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. With thin metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
Serving size = 1 cookie
- Berry-Orange Linzer Jewels: Prepare Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies as above in steps 1 and 2 but add 1 teaspoon grated orange peel with egg and vanilla. Chill, roll, and cut as above in steps 3 and 4 but use scalloped 2-inch square or round cookie cutter. Use small star-shaped or other decorative cutter to cut out centers of half the cookies. Bake and cool as above in step 5. When cookies are cool, if you like, sprinkle confectioners' sugar through sieve over cookies with cutout centers. From 1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam, spread scant 1/2 teaspoon jam on each whole cookie; top with cookie with cutout center. Makes about 3 dozen linzer cookies.
Share this article