- 1 pound(s) ground turkey
- 2 slice(s) low-fat bread, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) grated onion
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 1/4teaspoon(s) salt
- 5 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 1/2large cucumber, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 container(s) (8-ounce) nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro, substitute 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 4 cup(s) thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 1/2-inch by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, with hand, mix ground turkey, bread, onion, egg white, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons water.
- Shape turkey mixture into 25 meatballs. (For easier shaping, use wet hands.) Place meatballs in jelly-roll pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through (meatballs will not brown).
- 4. Cut about 1 inch from top of each pita; reserve cutoff pieces for use another day. Wrap pitas in foil. After meatballs have baked 5 minutes, warm pitas in oven until meatballs are done.
- Meanwhile, mix cucumber, yogurt, cilantro or mint, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- To serve, fill pitas with lettuce and meatballs; top with cucumber sauce.
Share this article