Lemon Meringue Drops
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1/8teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2cup(s) sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh lemon peel, grated
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment.
- In medium bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. With mixer running, gradually sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted. Gently fold in lemon peel.
- Spoon meringue into decorating bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe meringue into 1 1/2-inch stars, about 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake meringues, on 2 oven racks, 1 1?2 hours, until crisp but not brown, rotating sheets between racks halfway through baking. Turn oven off; let meringues stand in oven 1 hour longer to dry. Cool completely.
- Peel meringues from parchment; store in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 month.
Share this article