Persian Rice Cookies (Naan Berenji)
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 22 mins
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar ( regular white sugar works too!)
- 2 eggs ( May use egg replacer)
- 2 tablespoons iranian rose water
- 2 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder ( make sure gluten-free if on GF diet)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ground roasted pistachio nuts (to garnish) or poppy seeds ( to garnish)
- Mix together the canola oil and white sugar.
- Beat eggs and add along with the rose water to the sugar mixture.
- Add the white rice flour, baking powder and cardamom and blend into a thick dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C Line a cookie sheet with baking paper or oil lightly.
- Take a spoonful of dough the size of a walnut, roll into a ball between your palms, flatten slightly, and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat, leaving about an inch between cookies.
- Sprinkle the ground pistachios on top or poppy seeds if using.
- Place cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-22 minutes, or until firm and cracked on top. They should still be quite white but have a slight golden bottom.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the paper, and be careful these cookies crumble very easily.
- Store in an airtight container until serving.
Share this article