- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 clove(s) garlic, each cut in half
- 1/2cup(s) packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried mint
- 1 can(s) (15 to 19 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2cup(s) plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground red pepper, (cayenne)
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- Olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- 4 (6- to 7-inch diameter) pitas
- Sliced romaine lettuce, (accompaniment)
- Sliced tomatoes, (accompaniment)
- Sliced cucumber, (accompaniment)
- Sliced red onion, (accompaniment)
- Plain low-fat yogurt, (accompaniment)
- In food processor with knife blade attached, finely chop green onions, garlic, parsley, and mint. Add garbanzo beans, bread crumbs, coriander, cumin, baking powder, salt, ground red pepper, and allspice and blend until a coarse puree forms.
- Shape bean mixture, by scant 1/2 cups, into eight 3-inch round patties and place on sheet of waxed paper. Spray both sides of patties with olive oil spray.
- Heat nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of patties and cook 8 minutes or until dark golden brown, turning once. Transfer patties to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Cut off top third of each pita to form a pocket. Place warm patties in pitas. Serve with choice of accompaniments.
Share this article