Canadian Living's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (for a firmer cookies, add about 1/4 cup more flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, chopped(optional) or 1 cup pecans (optional)
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening; gradually mix in sugars, creaming thoroughly.
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
4. Chill for a few minutes or let stand at cool room temperature for 30 minutes.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
6. Flatten slightly and smooth edges to make 1/2-inch thick cookie.
7. Bake in a 375°F oven for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and still slightly under-baked in the centre. Let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes; remove to racks to let cool completely.
Share this article