Three-Bean Vegetable Chili
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 pound(s) carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large stalks celery, sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1 (1-pound) jumbo onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) water
- 2 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
- 1 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup(s) frozen shelled edamame (soybeans)
- 1/4cup(s) (plus additional leaves for garnish) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (optional)
- In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil on medium-high until hot. Add carrots, celery, garlic, and onion, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until all vegetables are browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, ground red pepper, and salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add tomatoes, broth, and water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir white kidney beans and pink beans into Dutch oven; cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in frozen edamame and cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until edamame are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir 1/4 cup cilantro into chili. Spoon half of chili into serving bowls; garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with sour cream and Cheddar, if you like. Spoon remaining chili into freezer-safe containers.
Share this article