The Prophet's Truthfulness
It is related that the Apostle of God said: 'The closest of you to me tomorrow when we stand before God is he who is most truthful in speech.' 294 He also said: 'The adornment of speech is truthfulness.' 295
He also said: 'Truthfulness is blessed and untruthfulness is accursed.' 296
He also said: 'The liar only lies because of an inferiority in his own self.' 297
He also said: 'Do your utmost to avoid lies for lies invite vice and criminality, and vice and criminality lead to Hellfire.' 298
He also said: 'Among the greatest sins (is) the lying tongue.' 299
He also said: 'Too much lying takes away the good aura of a person.' 300
He also said: 'Lying is one of the doors of hypocrisy.' 301
He also said: 'Telling lies diminishes providence.' 302
He was once asked: 'Can a believer be a coward?' He said:
He was asked: 'Can he be miserly?' He said: 'Yes.' He was asked: 'Can he be a liar?' He said: 'No.' 303 He said: 'Woe betide those who tell stories and lie in order to get people to laugh. Woe betide them, woe betide them.' 304
294. bihar al-anwar; vol.7, chap.15, p.303, 9ad:th 65.
295. ibid. vol.67, chap.6, p.9, 9ad:th 12.
296. tu9af al-!uqYl; p.11.
297. al-ikhtiN"N; p.226. Najaf edition.
298. bihar al-anwar; vol.69, chap.14, p.263, 9ad:th 48.
299. al-ikhtiN"N; p.339. Najaf edition.
300. bihar al-anwar; vol.73, chap.106, p.58, 9ad:th 1.
301. tanb:h al-khaw"Uir; p.121.
302. j"mi! al-sa!"d"t; vol.2, p.322, 3rd edition.
Adopted from the book : "The Prophet Muhammad; a Mercy to the World" by : "Ayatullah Muhammad Sadiq al-Shirazi"
Share this article