The date of Fatima Ma'suma's birth
- :Masuma Jaffer
Adopted from the Book : "Lady Fatima Ma'suma (S.A.) of Qum" by : "Masuma Jaffer"
According to certain traditions, some of which are mentioned below, Lady Fatima Masuma (A) was born on the 1st of Dhul Qa'dah, 173 A.H. in Madina.
1. The narrator Ayatollah Shaykh Ali Namazi (d. 1405 A.H) writes: "Fatima Masuma was born at the beginning of the month of Dhul Qa'dah the year 173 A.H"1
2. Mulla Muhsin Fayd narrates:
"Lady Fatima [Masuma], daughter of Imam al-Kazim (A) was born in Madina at the beginning of the month Dhul Qa'dah in the year 173 A.H and she passed away in Qum on the 10th of the month Rabi al-Thani in the year 201 A.H.2
Others who have also written that the birth of Lady Fatima Masuma (A) is in the beginning of the month of Dhul Qa'dah are mentioned below:
1. 'Allamah Bahrani in his book 'Awalim al-Ulum, vol. 21, p. 328.
2. Shaykh Mahdi Mansuri in his book Hayat al-Sadat, p. 10.
3. Dr. Muhammad Hadi Amini in his book Fatimah Bint al-Imam Musaal-Kazim, p. 21.
4. Ahmad Zadeh in his book Zendegani Hadrat Musa Ibn Ja'far, vol. 2, p.375.
Some of the authors above have reofeded the year of the birth of Lady Fatima Masuma (A) as 183 A.H instead of 173 A.H, but this is incorrect on acount of two major points, which are:
i. If we study the details of Imam Musa al-Kazim's (A) life we see that on the 25th Rajab 183 A.H he died in prison in Baghdad. We also know the minimum amount of time that he spent in prison was four years and during this imprisonment, his family was in Madina. So it cannot be possible for Lady Fatima Masuma (A) to be born in this same year of 183 A.H.
ii. Also, it is well documnted that Imam al-Kazim (A) had more than one daughter named Fatima, and that Lady Fatima Masuma (A) was the eldest Fatima (Fatimat al- Kubra), therefore she could not have been born in the same year as the year of her father's death.
From the foregoing, it can seen that it is not possible that Lady Fatima Masuma (A) was born in the year 183 A.H, and the authors who have quoted this date have made a mistake, (either in counting or writing) and should have recorded 173 A.H.
1. Shaykh Ali, Mustradrak Safinat al-Bihar, vol. 8, p. 257.
2. Abbas Faid, Ganjine-ye Athar-e Qum, vol. 1, p. 386.
Share this article