Stop Smoking Plan
Whether you are a beginner or a long time smoker, quitting smoking can be tough when you get addicted to it once. But, if planned properly, you can manage to quit your smoking habits and set an example to all those who are finding to leave smoking and join those who have kicked the habit for good. So if you want to know how to quit smoking, read on to know how to make a quit smoking plan.
Reasons for Difficulty in Quitting
When you are determined to quit smoking, you must also know why smokers find tobacco addictive.
- Smoking tobacco is a psychological habit and a physical addiction. Smoking for smokers becomes a daily ritual and the nicotine in cigarettes provides a temporary high. It becomes a behavior that you get used to.
- The Nicotine in tobacco has an effect on the brain causing you to crave for more cigarettes.
- Stressful situations, depression, loneliness, fear and anxiety are some of the reasons why a smoker finds himself going back to smoking. Smoking minimizes these emotions and makes the smoker feel like they were never there.
How to Create a Quit Smoking Plan
There are a few steps which you can take to quit smoking.
Listing Reasons to Quit Smoking
First step to quitting smoking is listing the reasons why you want to quit and placing it in places where you would normally keep your pack of cigarettes. Below are a few examples-
- I would like to increase my life span by reducing the risk of cancer, cardiac attacks, cataracts, skin wrinkling and strokes.
- I will save a lot of money.
- I will have a healthy baby.
- I will make my near and dear ones and my parents feel proud of me.
- I will have healthier and cleaner teeth.
- I do not wish to expose my children and dear ones to the dangers of the smoke.
Questions to Ask Yourself
To quit smoking completely you need to identify your weaknesses and get to the core of the problem. They are-
- Do you feel the requirement to smoke after every meal?
- Do you smoke alone or are a social smoker?
- Is your cigarette smoking connected with other addiction?
- Is your addiction too bad or is it limited to just one pack a day?
- Are you open to sharing your addiction problem with a therapist or counselor?
- Would you be interested in a fitness program?
- Are you open to trying hypnotherapy?
The Quit Smoking Plan
When you finally start executing the quit smoking plan, here is how you are going to begin and the steps you should take to help you quit this habit.
- Setting yourself a date when you wish to quit smoking forever. The date should be stress free but you should have enough work to keep yourself busy.
- Find a partner, friend or parent who will also quit their smoking habit along with you. This way you will be able to support each other.
- If you have other health problems or are worried about issues of gaining weight, you must take the doctor’s advice.
- Ask for support from your family and friends and let them know about your intentions. Explain to them why you are quitting smoking and that you may not be in yourself when you experience withdrawal.
- Get into a fitness program and start exercising with a sensible eating plan. Exercise will give you more energy and will assist you to relax and relieve stress.
- Keep searching for solutions for obstacles. If you are tried quitting smoking before and found it difficult to keep your hands busy. When you face such a moment, get yourself a pen and or something else to fiddle with.
- You must be positive and confident that you can quit the bad habit of smoking. Believe in yourself and you can do it if you work hard.
Therapies to Quit Smoking
There are several therapies to quit smoking –
- One can opt for Therapeutic Nicotine medication. It is available in a patch, gum, and lozenge form.
- One can also take help of counseling and group treatment. These treatments help smokers to overcome the urge to smoke.
- There are alternative therapies that smokers can opt like hypnosis, homeopathic remedies.
- There are also prescribed medicines that are clinically proven to help smokers quit smoking.
Share this article