Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) dried red lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 1 bag(s) (5-ounce) baby spinach
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil on medium until hot. Add carrots and onion, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Stir in cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, lentils, 2 cups water, salt, and pepper; cover and heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach. Makes about 7 1/2 cups.
Share this article