Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 bunch(es) (10- to 12-ounce) Swiss chard
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into half-moon slices
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) whole tomatoes in juice
- 2.5 cup(s) Home-Cooked Beans
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) mini penne pasta
- .5 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut ribs and stems from Swiss chard leaves. Cut ribs and stems into 1/2-inch pieces; cut leaves into 2-inch pieces. Rinse ribs and stems in large bowl of cold water; swish to remove any dirt. Drain well in colander; transfer to bowl. Repeat with leaves; set aside.
- In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil on medium until hot. Add onion, celery, carrot, and chard ribs and stems; cook 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes with their juice, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
- Add beans, broth, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling on medium-high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, cook penne as label directs; drain.
- Stir chard leaves and cooked penne into soup. Makes about 8 cups. Sprinkle with Parmesan to serve.
Share this article