How to Prepare oneself for The Night of Power (Lailatul-Qadr)
- Strive to keep Allah (SWT) at the fore of one’s mind the whole night long.
- All the Ibadah done should be recited in the state of being completely awake, aware, conscious, and with a live heart
- If one feels that one will not be able to concentrate then start reciting from now “We are from Allah and towards Him is our return.” - Holy Qur’an (2:156) for it is considered as a tragedy if one can not in this night receive the divine grace in supplications.
“Their prayers ascend upwards and reaches Allah, their words are accepted, and Allah loves to listen to their prayers the way a mother likes her own child.”
Is not it shameful that the prayers which ascend upwards should be recited from the tip of the tongue, while the heart and soul remain occupied in worldly affairs?
Many a times, one feels that one cannot ‘properly’ perform a certain ibadah and so decided to forgo it. One should not do listen to this ‘waswas’ instead, one should perform it & more, for acceptance lies in the Hand of the Mercy of Allah (SWT).
The other preparations to be done for this night are,
- For worshipping in this night a suitable place, dress, and perfume should be arranged in advance (comfortable dress which does not distract us)
- Paying alms during this night - to the people who really deserve financial support
- Follow the translation of the duas in order to understand what you are reciting for lutf is only got when one knows what one is reciting.
- Increase ones eagerness for receiving the promised bounties and blessings;
- Select worships and deeds which are more in harmony with ones mood
- When one stands for prayer, or any other ibadah, to briefly spare a moment to think about the wisdom of that action/its meaning etc for e.g. Why am I standing towards Mecca? To realize that when I stand on my two feet, it indicates my hope and fear about the acceptance of my worship
- Resorting (Tawassul) to Ahlul-Bait (A) - With persistence, supplicating in a polite and soft manner, with words and content arousing their sympathies, should beseech them for bestowing upon us the grace of being vigilant during this night.
Crying and Shedding Tears
That during these nights ones fear, humility, tears, crying, anguish, and lamentation be increased as much as possible.
The Learned Scholar Hajj Mirza Javad Agha Maliki Tabrizi (R) in his book (Suluk-i Arifan) Spiritual Journey of the Mystics tell us that One of the best method is that one should tie ones hands around ones neck; should pour dirt upon ones head; should place ones head against a wall; sometimes one should stand and sometimes one should cry; should imagine oneself at the scene of Judgment Day; and the way sinners are rebuked with harshness, then one should imagine and be scared least Allah (the Glorious, the Exalted) orders:
“Seize ye him, bind ye him, burn ye him in the blazing fire, and make him march in a chain whereof the length is seventy cubits.” - Holy Qur’an (69:30-32)
Then one should cry:
“O’ Thou are the most compassionate, and Thou Who are the shelter of unsheltered ones!” “Where is Your vast blessing? Where is Your infinite forgiveness? Where are Your love and benevolence?” Ask for forgiveness of past sins in the most appealing manner with a promise to try never to return to the sins again - a TAWBA in every sense of the word Present ones requests before the Almighty with full hope that they will be answered. The Prophet (SAW) when asked what one should invoke Allah during these nights, said: “Ask for your safety (here and in the hereafter)”.
Share this article