Healthy Diet Tips - Proteins
- When it comes to protein, lean protein is the healthiest choice.
- Take the skin off of your chicken before you cook it.
- Skinless chicken and turkey is the leanest poultry.
- Lean pork choices include pork loin, tenderloin, center loin and ham.
- Lean beef choices include round steaks and roasts, top loin, top sirloin, chuck shoulder and arm roasts. Try to buy extra lean ground beef that has is at least "90% lean."
- Trim off extra fat from all meats and poultry before cooking.
- Drain off fat that appears as you meat is cooking, or cook you meat on a rack so that the extra fat drips off the meat during the cooking process.
- Avoid making high fat sauces or gravies with your meat.
- Include fish in your diet. Fish is high in protein and mostly low in fat.
- Some fish such as salmon and trout are high in omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your health.
- Beans are also a great source of protein. Beans have endless potential for meals, including soups, chili, bean salads and baked beans.
- Some delicious foods are made from peas or beans such as hummus and tofu. Tofu can also be a great meat substitute.
- Try to avoid buying meats that have been processed. Lunch meats, sausages and hot dogs usually have had salt added to them while being processed.
Share this article