Heart-Healthy Diet Tips
- Maintain a low fat diet. You will want to especially avoid fats such as butter, coconut oil, saturated fats, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats, animal fats and dairy fats.
- Instead of oils, try using nonstick cooking sprays.
- Always try to buy the leanest cuts of meat. Poultry, fish and turkey are better choices than beef.
- Try starting your day with a hearty bowl of oatmeal.
- Skim milk and non-fat yogurt is a healthier option than high-fat dairy products.
- Don't eat too many sweets or foods with added sugar. Soda and sweetened beverages should be kept to a minimum as well.
- Avoid eating more than four egg yolks a week. Generally it is better to eat egg whites or egg substitutes.
- Don't fry your food. Steaming or baking food is generally a healthier preparation.
- Try to avoid the fast food restaurant chains, they usually do not have many healthy options. If you must eat at a fast food restaurant, try to make the healthier choice and order a salad.
Share this article