Delicate Afghan Butter Cookies/Kulche Birinjee (Gluten Free)
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 egg whites
2 cups rice flour (finely ground, ie not course)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (please use freshly ground, it makes it so much tastier)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
1/4 cup shelled whole unsalted pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add the egg whites and mix until smooth.
4. Gradually add the rice flour, cardamom and pistachios. Mix well.
5. Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and set on a cookie sheet (ungreased is ok). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. The cookie will not rise or spread during cooking.
6. Press the back of a fork into the dough, making a criss-cross with the tines of the fork (like you would with a peanut butter cookie). If the fork begins to stick, dip it in a glass of cold water from time to time.
7. Place a pistachio in the center of the cookie and press lightly. Continue with the remainder of the dough.
8. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not let them brown. Let it cool before eating.
Share this article