Deep-Dish Peach and Berry Pie
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 35 min
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- .25 cup(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- .5 cup(s) heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon(s) heavy or whipping cream
- .125 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- .5 cup(s) sugar
- .25 cup(s) cold water
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 pound(s) (about 5 medium) ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup(s) blueberries
- 1 cup(s) blackberries
- 1 cup(s) raspberries
- Prepare Crust: In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 cup sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissors-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add 1/2 cup cream and stir with fork until dough comes together. Gather dough into a ball and place on lightly floured sheet of waxed paper. With floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 9-inch round. Slide waxed paper onto cookie sheet and refrigerate dough until ready to use. In cup, mix cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Prepare Fruit Filling: Preheat oven to 400° F. Place cookie sheet lined with foil in oven. In 4-quart saucepan, stir sugar, water, and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves; stir in peaches. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; gently stir in berries. Pour filling into 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Immediately, while filling is hot, remove dough round from refrigerator and, using waxed paper, invert dough over fruit mixture. Peel off paper. Cut 4-inch X in center of round; fold back points to make square opening. Brush dough with remaining cream; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake pie on foil-lined cookie sheet 35 to 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbly in center. If crust is browning too quickly, loosely cover pie with foil after 25 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack.
Share this article