Chocolate Dessert Cake
100 g chocolate, chopped
100 g butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup ground almonds
1 tablespoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons hot water
3 eggs, separated
cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Grease a 20cm round cake tin. Line the base and sides of the tin and grease the paper.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over another saucepan containing boiling water, making sure the water doesn't bubble into the chocolate mix. Stir over low heat until melted.
3. Dissolve coffee in hot water. Add to the chocolate mix with the sugar and almond. Mix well.
4. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; gently fold into chocolate mixture, gradually.
5. Pour into tin. Cook in moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until firm to touch. Cover with foil if browning too much.
6. Cool in tin. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Share this article