- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) roasted, salted almonds
- 5 ounce(s) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites, extract, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted.
- Spoon meringue into large resealable plastic bag with one corner cut to create small hole. Pipe meringue into 1-inch rounds, 1 inch apart, on prepared sheets.
- Bake 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes or until crisp but not brown, rotating cookie sheets between oven racks halfway through baking. Cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, pulse almonds until finely chopped; place on plate. In small bowl, microwave chocolate on medium 1 minute 30 seconds or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Line large jelly-roll pan with waxed paper. Dip bottom third of each meringue in chocolate, then almonds, using fork if necessary to help hold meringue base when dipping. Place on prepared pan; let stand until set. Store cookies in airtight containers, layered with waxed paper, at room temperature up to 3 days or in freezer up to 1 month.
Share this article