- 1 (16-ounce) package (about 13/4 cups) frozen sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons cold milk or water
Additional granulated sugar
- 1. For Pastry: Beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Add flour and sugar; beat on low speed until crumbly. Turn mixture onto floured board; knead until dough forms. Cover and set aside while preparing filling.
- 2. For Filling: Coarsely chop frozen cherries. Combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well.
- 3. Combine chopped cherries and sugar mixture in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts. Let cool in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of dough into a 10-inch circle. Spread dough with about 1/2 cup cherry filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Cut circle into 8 wedgeshape pieces. Roll up dough, beginning at wide end of each wedge.
- 5. Place cookies, tip side down, about 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush each cookie lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- 6. Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.