Burgers with French Onions
- 1/3cup(s) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed with press
- 2 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium (6- to 8-ounce) red onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 4 ounce(s) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 1/4pound(s) 85-percent lean ground beef
- 1 ounce(s) Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 4 brioche hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 leaves Boston lettuce
- Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling on medium.
- In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, parsley, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; set aside.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, water, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Shape beef into four 3/4-inch-thick burgers. Lightly sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper to season both sides.
- Grill burgers, covered, 7 minutes for medium or until desired doneness, turning over once. Top each burger with 1/4 cup onion mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Cover; cook 1 minute or until cheese has melted. Serve on buns with garlic mayonnaise and lettuce.
Share this article