Bulgur Bean Burgers
- 1 cup(s) water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2cup(s) bulgur
- 1 can(s) (15 to 19 ounces) reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 container(s) (6 ounces) plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4cup(s) (packed) mint leaves, chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small shredded Kirby (pickling) cucumber
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash beans with 2 tablespoons yogurt until almost smooth. Stir in bulgur, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, and half of mint until combined. With lightly floured hands, shape bean mixture into four 3-inch-round patties. Spray both sides of each patty lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add burgers and cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through, turning them over once.
- While burgers are cooking, prepare yogurt sauce : In small bowl, combine cucumber, remaining yogurt, remaining mint, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
- To serve, divide lettuce, tomato slices, and burgers among buns; top with some yogurt sauce. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
Share this article