Black Pepper Chicken in Dark Soy Sauce
1 Kg Chicken thigh (with bones)**
2 Medium red Onions (1 sliced, 1 quartered)
5 Cloves Garlic (sliced)
1 Inch Ginger (chopped thinly)
2 Green Chillis (slice at the end)
1-2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1/2 Cup Thick Caramel Sauce
1 tablespoon Kecap Manis (optional)
Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
Salt/sugar to taste
1 cup water
**Marinate with 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic, pinch of salt and a teaspoon of turmeric. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
1. Heat up oil and fry the marinated chicken. Once done, take out and set aside.
2. In a pot, sauté onions, garlic and ginger using the oil from the chicken (about 2 tablespoon of oil) until fragrant.
3. Put black pepper, green chillis and all the sauces. Stir for a few minutes before adding water.
4. Add the fried chicken and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add salt to taste, if preferred you may add some sugar and lemon juice.
Note: You don’t need to fry the chicken beforehand if you don’t want to. You can cook the chicken in the pot along with the sauces but just add an extra 20-30 minutes to cooking time. However, fried chicken taste nicer.
Share this article