Black Magic (Black Lentils & Soybean Dal)
1 cup split black lentils, soaked overnight (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup soybeans (soaked overnight with lentils) or 1/2 cup black-eyed peas (soaked overnight with lentils)
1 big onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
salt (as per taste)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 pinch asafetida powder (optional)
1 teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons butter
1. Put soaked lentils and soyabeans in a cooker with 4 cups of water.
2. Add salt, turmeric powder and onions along.
3. Pressure cook for 18-20 minutes on medium heat.
4. If you do not use a pressure cooker then you have to wait till the ingredients turn absolutely tender and may have to increase the quantity of water in the pot.
5. This will take a longer time.
6. Meanwhile take a pan and melt the butter.
7. Add garlic and brown the same.
8. Add all the remaining spices and turn the heat off.
9. Open the cooker and mash dal gently.
10. Transfer the same to the pan.
11. Add some water if the consistency is too thick.
12. Take care that it does not turn too watery.
13. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
14. Serve warm with a dash of fresh cream.
15. This goes well with steamed white rice and Indian breads.
Share this article