- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 2 1-pound beef roasts (or one 2-pound roast cut in half)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into large pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1/4 C. whole garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 C. low-sodium beef broth
- 1 t. fresh thyme, de-stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add carrots, celery, onion, potatoes and garlic to the pan and saute until lightly brown, then remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
Return the beef roasts to the pan, add tomatoes, beef stock and thyme, cover and cook on low heat for one hour. Add reserved vegetables and cook an additional 30 minutes (add a little more broth if needed). Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 20 minutes. Season to taste and serve.
Makes 4 servings