Apricot Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 8 ripe apricots, each cut in half and pitted
- 1.25 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) cornmeal
- 1.25 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 3/4 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of skillet. Arrange apricot halves, cut side down, over brown sugar.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended. In small bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, margarine, oil, lemon peel, and vanilla extract until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until just blended. Pour batter over apricots and spread to cover evenly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Let cool in skillet on wire rack 10 minutes. Run knife around side of skillet. Place platter on top of skillet and carefully invert cake onto platter. Remove skillet. Cool cake slightly to serve warm, about 30 minutes.
Share this article