The Angels Will Descend On the Night of Power
- :M.Al-Zahra B.Ed
By : M.Al-Zahra B.Ed
"O Lord! Bestow on us such a wakefulness and acknowledgement that we take sufficient benefit from the virtue of the Night of Power.
O Lord! We hope, only, that our predestined fates be determined based on Your Grace.
O Lord! Do not put us among those who are deprived from this month, because it is the worst deprivation.” (The Light of the Holy Qur’an, vol. 2, pg. 151)
On the Night of Power ( Layltul-Qadr), the Holy Qu’ran was revealed to our Holy Prophet ('s). On this night, blessings from Allah (swt) for Muslims surpass the blessings of every other night of the year. There is no night of the year that can surpass in excellence and superiority, with benefits and favours this night brings for mankind. (Supplications, Prayers and Ziarats, Call on Me, I Answer You”, Sheikh Abbas Qummi)
Surah Al-Qadr describes the Night of Power and the importance of the blessings therein.
Allah (swt) says in the Holy Qur'an:
1“Innaaa ‘anzalnaahu fii Laylatil-Qadr:
2. Wa maaa ‘adraaka maa Laylatul-Qadr?
3. Laylatul-Qadri khayrummin ‘alfi Shahr.
4. Tanazzalul – malaaa – ‘ikatu war - Ruuhu fiihaa bi-‘izni-Rabbihim-min-kulli ‘amr:
5. Salaamun Hiya hattaa matla-‘il-Fajr!”
1. "Lo! We revealed it (the Holy Qur'an) on the Night of Power.
2. Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Night of Power is?
3. The Night of Power is better than a thousand months.
4. The angels and the Spirit (Jibrael) descend therein, by the permission of their Lord, with all decrees.
5. (That night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn." (97:1-5)
Our Holy Prophet ('s) did not know the degree of significance of the Night of Power until this verse was revealed to him ('s), being “better than a thousand months”. (The Light of the Holy Qur’an)
Laylatul-Qadr (The Night of Power) is expected to be one of the 19th, 21st or 23rd nights of Ramadan (or one of the odd numbered nights in the last 10 days of Ramadan), with a greater emphasis being of the possibility of the 23rd night. However, a mystic ambiguity covers The Night of Power.
It is known to be the night “which is better than a thousand months” which is equal to more than eighty years, the length of a long blessed life. It is highly desirable to spend the night in prayer to be granted with immense blessings from the Merciful Allah (swt) whereby special Grace covers all His (swt) creatures. (The Light of the Holy Qur’an)
The angels descend on that night, and there are so many of them that the Earth’s expanse is not vast enough to accommodate all of them, so that the space is very restricted. .(The Light of the Holy Qur’an)
Other scholars say that on the night of Qadr that the Spirit ( Rooh) together with 1000 angels descend and that which has been decided is shown to the Living Imam (Supplications, Prayers and Ziarats, Call on Me, I Answer You”, Sheikh Abbas Qummi)
There is no doubt that the Night of Qadr is one of the nights in Ramadan, as Allah (swt) says in the Qur’an:
“Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur’an ….” (Surah Al-Baqarah (2), verse 185), and
“"Lo! We revealed it (the Holy Qur'an) on the Night of Power.” (Surah Al-Qadr (97), verse 1)
Special A’maal on this night are better than the A'maal of 1000 nights. The Angels and Roohul Ameen (Jibrael) descend on this earth, in that night. These call on the living Imam of the time, and what is ordained (by Allah [swt]) for everybody is presented before the Imam. .(The Light of the Holy Qur’an)
Recitation of Surah Al-Qadr
The Holy Prophet ('s) had been quoted to having said the following in relation to the recitation of this Surah, Al-Qadr, which was revealed to him ('s) to comfort him ('s) after a disturbing dream he had one night (The Light of the Holy Qur’an, vol. 2, pg. 142):
“He who recites it (Surah-Qadr) will be rewarded like the one who has fasted the whole month of Ramadan and has kept vigil the night of Qadr (the Night of Power).”(Majma’-al-Bayan, vol. 10, pg. 516)
Imam Al-Baqir (a.s) is quoted as having said:
“He who recites Surah Qadr loudly and openly is like a person who fights in the Holy War on the path of Allah (swt), and he who recites it hiddenly is like a person who swims in his own blood for the sake of Allah (swt).”(Ruh-al-Ma’ali, vol. 30, pg. 188; and Darr-al-Manthur, vol. 6, pg. 391)
Why Is It Called “The Night of Power” ?
1. The night is called The Night of Power because all the affairs and destinies of man are determined on that night. Surah Dukhan (44), verse 3-4, stands as a witness to this idea in that Allah (sws) has stated:
”We sent it down during the night: For We (ever) wish to warn (against evil).”
”On that (night) is made distinct every affair of wisdom,”
This does not although contradict man's free will as divine wisdom is carried out by the angels based on man’s efficiencies and abilities on the level of the Faith and virtue in purity of their intentions and actions. (The Light of the Holy Qur’an, vol. 2, pg. 146)
2. Some have also stated that it is the Night of Power because of its great importance and honour as stated in Surah Hajj (22), verse 74:
“No just estimate have they made of Allah …”
3. Others have stated it is The Night of Power because the Holy Qur’an was revealed to the Holy Prophet ('s) by means of the Arch Angel Jibrael.
4. Or that is was the appointed night of the revelation of the Holy Qur’an.
5. Also that the person who keeps vigil and worships Allah (swt) throughout the entire night obtains a grand rank.
6. Finally, one other reason for this particular night being name The Night of Power, because the word Qadr can be used in its literal meaning being “restricted”, in regards to the number of angels who descend on Earth. Surah Talaq (65), verse 7: ”… and the man whose resources are restricted …”
And Allah (swt) knows best. Forgive me for any mistakes, insh’Allah.
Share this article