Status of Imam Husayn (a.s.) in the Verse of Affection (Mawada)
- :Al-Balagh Foundation
"... say: 'I do not ask you f or any payment f or my preaching to you, except the love f or my relatives...'"
Holy Qur'an (42:23)
The Qur'anic exegesists state that this verse was revealed concerning Ali, Fatimah, Hassan and Hussein (a.s.).
Jabir bin Abdullah is reported to have said: "A bedouin came to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) and said, 'O Muhammad! introduce me to Islam.'
"'You should bear witness,' replied the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) 'that there is no god but Allah, Who is the only God, Who has no partner whatsoever, and that Muhammad is His Servant and Messenger.'
"'Do you ask for recompense in return?' asked the bedouin.
"'No,' said the Prophet (s.a.w.), 'except that you should love the relatives.'
"'Mine or yours?' inquired the man.
"'Mine,' said the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.).
"'Hold out your hand,' said the bedouin. 'I give you my pledge of allegiance. My Allah curse whoever doesn't love you or your kindred.'
"'Amen,' said the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.)." 5
It is reported in the Musnad (Book of traditions) of Ahmad bin Hanbal, the two Sahihs (Authentic books of traditions), and the exegesis of al-Tha'alibi and al-Tabarsi, that Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, was quoted as saying, "when the verse (say: I do not ask you for any payment for my preaching to you except the love for my relatives) was revealed, Muslims asked the Prophet (s.a.w.), 'O Messenger of Allah! Who are your kinsfolk whom we should love?! 'Ali, Fatimah and their two sons,' answered the Prophet (a.s.)."
Next to the verses of the Glorious Qur'an, we quote certain statements, from the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) as additional evidence expressing the lofty position occupied by Imam Hussein (a.s.) in the world of Islam and the Muslim ummah.
1. In the Sahih of al-Tirmidhi, Ya'la bin Murrah is quoted to have said, "The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) said,
'Hussein is from me and I am from Hussein. Allah loves whoever loves Hussein. Hussein is a disciple of the disciples." 6
2. Salman al-Farsi is reported to have said, "I heard the Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.) saying, 'Hassan and Hussein are my two sons. Whoever loves them then he loves me. And whoever dislikes them then he dislikes me. And whoever dislikes me then Allah dislikes him. And whomever Allah dislikes, He will throw him into hell f ace downward."' 7
3. Al-Bara' bin Azib is quoted to have said, "I saw the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) carrying Hussein bin Ali (a.s.) on his shoulder. He was saying, 'O Lord! I do love him so love him.'" 8
4. Abdullah bin Mas'ood is reported to have said, "The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) said, concerning Hassan and Hussein, 'These are my two sons, whoever loves them then he loves me. And whoever dislikes them he dislikes me,"'
5. Ali bin Hussein (a.s.) said, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather (a.s.), 'The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) took the arms of Hassan and Hussein and said, 'Whoever loves me and loves these two and their father, he will certainly be with me on the Day of Judgement.'" 9
5. Fadha'il al-Khamsah, vol. 1, p. 259, quoted from Hilyat al-Awliya' (Ornament of the Saints), vol. 3, p.201, and from al-Durral-Manthoor, by al-Suyooti, Usd al-Ghabah (Lions of the Jungle), Mustadrak al-Sahihain, Tafsir Ibn Jabrir al-Tabari (Qur'anic Exegesis by al-Tabari with differences in words and narratives.
6. Fadha'il al-Khamsah, vol. 3, pp. 263.
7 I'lam al-Wara (Merits of the Two Grandsons of the Prophet (s.a.w.)), al-Tabrasi, p. 219.
8. Al-Fusool al-Muhimmah (The Important Chapters), Ibn al-Sabbagh al-Maliki.
9. Tathkirat al-Khawas (Admonishing the Prominent People), The Prophet of Allah's love for Hassan and Hussein (a.s.)
Adopted from the book : "Imam Husain bin Ali (a.s.)" by : "Al-Balagh Foundation"
Share this article