Simple Chocolate Cake
+ 200g good-quality dark chocolate, melted
+ 200g butter, melted
+ 1 1/2cups caster sugar
+ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
+ 3 Eggs
+ 1 cup self-raising flour
+ 1/2 cup plain flour
+ 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
+ 1/2 cup milk
+ 1 tablespoon Icing, to sift
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line base and side of a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan.
- Place butter in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate. Beat until well combined. Sift flour and cocoa together. Fold half the flour mixture into butter mixture. Add half the milk. Stir gently to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Sift icing over top.
Share this article