Chocolate Vanilla Swiss Roll
To make the cake
+ 5 eggs
+ 1 cup caster sugar
+ 1/2 cup plain flour
+ 4 tablespoons cocoa
To make the vanilla cream filling
+ 1 cup cream
+ 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
+ 1/2 cup Icing sugar
To decorate the top of cake
+ 100 grams Dark Chocolate
+ 1/4 Fresh Milk
- Preheat oven to moderately hot 180 degrees. Lightly grease a swiss roll tin approx 25 by 37cm & line the base with baking paper, extending the edges over the two long sides. Brush a bit with oil.
- Beat the eggs & caster sugar with electric beaters for 5-8 minutes until thick & creamy.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the combined sifted flour & cocoa.
- Spread the mixture into the tin & smooth the surface.
- Bake for 10 -15 mins, or until the cake is just set.
- Meanwhile, on a clean work surface, lay baking paper & sprinkle on with some caster sugar.
- When the cake is cooked, turn it out immediately onto the sugar. Roll the cake up from the short side - rolling the paper inside the cake as well.
- Stand the rolled cake on a wire rack for 10 mins, then carefully unroll & allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the cream, icing sugar & vanilla essence until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the cream over the cake, leaving a 1/2 inch border all the way around.
- Re-roll the cake (without the paper). Place the cake seam-side down onto serving tray.
- Decorate with chocolate icing and refrigerate before serving.
- Cut into slices to serve.
Share this article