Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 pound(s) hot Italian sausage links, pricked several times with fork
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- .25 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic , finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can(s) (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 package(s) (10 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- .25 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- .25 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1.5 cup(s) regular long-grain white rice
- 1.5 pound(s) shelled and deveined shrimp, with tail part of shell left on if you like
- Heat 6-quart Dutch oven on medium-high until hot. Add sausage links and cook 8 minutes or until well browned, turning frequently. Transfer sausages to plate to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. When cool, cut sausages into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices.
- While sausages cool, discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from Dutch oven. Add oil to Dutch oven and heat on medium. (If your sausages are very lean and you do not get 1 tablespoon drippings, add enough additional oil to drippings to equal 1/4 cup fat total.) Gradually stir flour into drippings until blended, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until flour mixture (roux) is deep brown, stirring constantly. Add green pepper, onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return sausages to Dutch oven; stir in broth, tomatoes, water, okra, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice as label directs. In medium bowl, toss shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add shrimp to Dutch oven; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until opaque throughout.
- To serve, discard bay leaf. Serve gumbo in large bowls. Top each serving with a scoop of rice. Makes about 10 cups.
Share this article