Persian Rice Cookies (Naan Berenji)
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar (regular white sugar works too!)
2 eggs (May use egg replacer)
2 tablespoons iranian rose water
2 1/4 cups rice flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (make sure gluten-free if on GF diet)
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
ground roasted pistachio nuts (to garnish) or poppy seed (to garnish)
1. Mix together the canola oil and white sugar.
2. Beat eggs and add along with the rose water to the sugar mixture.
3. Add the white rice flour, baking powder and cardamom and blend into a thick dough.
4. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C Line a cookie sheet with baking paper or oil lightly.
6. Take a spoonful of dough the size of a walnut, roll into a ball between your palms, flatten slightly, and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat, leaving about an inch between cookies.
7. Sprinkle the ground pistachios on top or poppy seeds if using.
8. Place cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-22 minutes, or until firm and cracked on top. They should still be quite white but have a slight golden bottom.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the paper, and be careful these cookies crumble very easily.
10. Store in an airtight container until serving.
Share this article