Pecan-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin with Grilled Peach Salsa
- 1 pound turkey tenderloin, cut crosswise into 4 equal portions
- 2 cups nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons canola oil,divided
Grilled Peach Salsa
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe peaches, (3-4 medium), halved and pitted
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, preferably Vidalia
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Place one portion of turkey at a time between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, slightly thicker than 1/4 inch.
- Pour buttermilk in a large sealable plastic bag. Add salt and sugar; seal and shake to dissolve. Add the turkey and seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible; refrigerate to marinate for 30 minutes (but no longer or it may be too salty).
- Meanwhile, prepare salsa: Preheat grill to medium. Brush cut sides of peaches with oil. Grill the peaches until softened and browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool. Chop the peaches into 1/4-inch pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add onion, jalapeño, lime zest and juice, cilantro and mint.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Remove the turkey from the marinade (discard marinade) and thoroughly dry with paper towels. Combine flour, paprika and pepper in a shallow dish. Beat egg whites and mustard in a second shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and pecans in a third shallow dish. Dredge each cutlet in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then, dip both sides in the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into the dish to ensure a very thin coating. Then, dredge both sides in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs onto each piece to evenly coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place half the turkey gently in the pan without crowding; cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the wire rack on the baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining oil and turkey, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a cutlet registers 165°F, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve the turkey with the salsa.
Share this article