Onion; King of Vegetables
The onion is a member of the lily family, a close relation of garlic. It is often called the "king of vegetables" because of its pungent taste.
There are many varieties of the onion¾white, yellow, red and green globes. They also differ in size, color and taste. The smaller onions come in many varieties such as the green onion, or scallion which includes chives, leeks and shallots.
The smaller the onions, the more pungent they are. They are the ones that make your eyes water when you cut them, when the organic sulphur is released.
There is considerable variation in composition between different varieties and they also vary with the stage of maturity and the length of storage.
Onion is a powerful anti-septic that is rich in vitamins A, B and C. It is a potent source of folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, chromium, iron and dietary fiber.
Ancient records reveal that onions have been used as far back as 4000 B.C. as a cure-all for many illnesses. In WW II, the vapors of onion paste were used to reduce the pain and accelerated the healing of soldiers' wounds.
Even now, we find many medicinal properties from this dynamite bulb:
1. It promotes oral health.
The anti-bacterial properties of onions kill germs that cause tooth decay and oral infections. Chewing raw onions for two to three minutes can kill germs your mouth.
2. It helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
3. It helps to treat cough and sore throat. Consuming a mixture of onion juice and honey can bring relief to cough and sore throat.
4. It helps to reduce pain caused by insect bites, bee stings and scorpion stings. By applying onion juice directly to the area bitten by insects, pain will subside.
5. It helps to treat anemic conditions.
By eating onions and drinking water laced with whole cane sugar, anemic conditions can be improved.
6. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve upset stomach and gastric pains.
7. It helps to treat urinary tract infection.
Drinking water boiled with six to seven grams of onion can help to treat people who are suffering from burning sensation during urination.
8. It helps to prevent anemia.
Onion has high iron content which makes it a potent agent in preventing and treating anemia.
9. It helps to boost the immune system.
10. It helps to alleviate arthritis symptoms.
Onions contain anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and gout.
These are some of the known health benefits of onion. Use it as a regular part of your daily cooking; it can help to keep you healthy and protected from many ailments.
Share this article