Omani Lamb Knuckle (Shanks) Soup (Mazza Bishurba)
4 lamb knuckles (shanks)
8 cups cold water
1 dried lime (loomi or noomi Basara peirced twice with a skewer, Do not leave out)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon baharat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
2 small piece cinnamon bark
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup basmati rice
lemon, cut in half (to serve)
1. Wash lamb shanks & place in a large soup pot.
2. Add the water.
3. Perice loomi (dried lime) on each side and add to the pot.
4. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, skimming frequently as scum rises.
5. When well skimmed and almost boiling, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
6. In a frying pan gently fry onion in oil until transparent. Add spices and fry for a further 3 minutes.
7. Add to the soup with tomatoes and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
8. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
9. Remove lime and cinnimon bark and discard.
10. Lift out lamb knukles and trim off meat.
11. Cut meat into small peices and return to soup.
12. Pick over rice and wash well, add to soup.
13. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until rice is very tender.
14. Serve hot with khoubiz (flat bead) and lemon halves to squeeze onto individual servings.
Share this article