New Zealand Holly Cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup raspberry jam
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
2 -3 teaspoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
red cinnamon candies
green food coloring
1. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
2. Cut in margarine (like pie dough).
3. Make a well in the center of the dough.
4. Combine egg and 1/4 cup milk and pour them into the well.
5. Stir dough until moist.
6. Flour a flat surface and roll dough out to 1/8" thick.
7. Cut into 2" circles.
8. Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes.
9. Place on a rack to cool.
10. Once cooled, place 1/2 tsp jam on the bottom of one cookie.
11. Cover the jam with another cookie, ie cookie- jam- cookie.
12. In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to make a glaze.
13. Glaze the top of one side of each double cookie and place 2-3 cinnamon candies into the glaze.
14. The candies are to be the holly berries.
15. Allow glaze to set.
16. Use a small clean paintbrush to paint several holly leaves and a stem on each cookie using green food coloring.
Share this article