Nan-E Nokhochi Persian Cookies
3 1/2 cups chickpea flour, roasted
3/4 cup vegetable oil or 3/4 cup clarified butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 tablespoon rose water
4 tablespoons crushed pistachios, for garnish
1. Sift and combine the chickpea flour, confectioner's sugar, and ground cardamom.
2. Add oil or butter and mix well.
3. Add rose water, and continue to mix.
4. Tightly pack the flour mixture into a small rectangular pan that is 3/4" deep.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to harden the dough.
6. Remove from the refrigerator.
7. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
8. Cut the dough with a small cookie cutter (3/4" x 3/4". Traditionally a clover or flower cutout is used.).
9. Place cookies on a baking sheet one inch apart.
10. Garnish with crushed pistachios.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the base of the cookie is slightly golden.
12. Allow the cookies to cool before transferring to a cooling rack or storage container. Be careful, as they are delicate.
Share this article