Lemon Meringue Drops
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 4 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
- In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form. With mixer running, sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted. Gently fold in lemon peel.
- Spoon meringue into decorating bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe meringue into 1 1/2-inch stars, about 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake meringues until crisp but not brown, 1 hour 30 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven until dry, 1 hour. Remove meringues from oven. Turn oven temperature back to 200 degrees F. Repeat with remaining meringue.
- Cool meringues completely. Remove from parchment with wide metal spatula. Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 1 month.
Share this article