King Ranch Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked skinless chicken
- 10 corn tortillas, cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Whisk milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the broth and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in yogurt, tomatoes, chiles, cilantro (or parsley), chili powder, oregano and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish with half the tortillas. Top with half the chicken and half the onion mixture. Spoon half of the sauce evenly over the top. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken, onion mixture and sauce. Sprinkle with Cheddar. Bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
Share this article