1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 3/4 ounces blanched almonds, ground (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon cardamom pods, husks removed, seeds crushed (1/2 teaspoon)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place rack in center of oven.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Mix almonds, cardamom, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar into flour mixture. Beat eggs and vanilla, then mix into dry ingredients until well combined.
3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 9-by-2-inch log. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press gently to flatten top. Bake until pale gold and lightly cracked, about 30 minutes.
4. Lightly beat egg white, then brush onto biscotti. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet on a wire rack.
5. Transfer to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut dough into -inch-thick slices. Place slices, flat sides down, on baking sheet, and bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer biscotti to wire rack, and let cool completely. (Biscotti can be stored for up to 3 days.)
Share this article