Byriani with Shrimp
Origin: Pakistan, India
* 3 Pound Shrimp, cut into 2" cubes
* 2 Cup Yogurt, natural
* 2 Teaspoon Ground ginger
* 2 Teaspoon Garlic powder
* 3 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
* 1 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
* 2 Tablespoon Lime juice
* 4 Green chilies, chopped (optional)
* 2 Large onions, finely sliced and fried in oil or ghee*, until golden-brown and removed from oil or ghee
* 4 Med potatoes peeled and cut in half
* 2 Tablespoon Chopped mint, fresh (or dried)
* 1/2-1 cup Oil
* 2 Whole cardamom pods (black)*
* 2 Whole cloves*
* 2 Whole black peppercorns*
* 2 inch Cinnamon stick*
* 1 Bay leaf*
* 3 Cup Uncooked basmati rice*,wash and soaked in 6 cups cold water
* 3 Teaspoon Salt (second amount)
* 1 Teaspoon Saffron*
* 1/2 Cup Hot milk
* 1 Teaspoon Garam masala*
*ingredients can be found at islamiCity Bazar or in an Indian grocery store.
Fry the onions to golden brown and keep aside and crush it when cold. in same oil fry the potatoes. Prepare a mixture of crushed onions, potatoes, yogurt, mint, garlic, ginger, red chili powder, salt, and green chilies (if used).
Marinate the shrimp in the mixture prepared above for at least 3 hours.
In a separate vessel boil the rice along with cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, black peppercorns, garam masala and salt till the rice is half cooked.
In a big pot spread one thin layer of rice and marinated chicken. On the top put the remaining rice and remaining oil.
Sprinkle the saffron powder mixed with milk 2 or 3 places on top of rice.
Cover the pot tightly and put something heavy on it.
Initially cook on high flame for 5-6 min , later simmer and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Share this article