Byriani with Chicken
Origin: Pakistan, India
* 4 Pound Chicken legs or breasts, cut into 2" cubes , cut into 2" cubes
* 2 Cup Yogurt, natural
* 2 Teaspoon Ground ginger
* 2 Teaspoon Garlic powder
* 3 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
* 1 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
* 2 Tablespoon Lime juice
* 4 Green chilies, chopped (optional)
* 2 Large onions, finely sliced and fried in oil or ghee*, until golden-brown and removed from oil or ghee
* 4 Med potatoes peeled and cut in half
* 2 Tablespoon Chopped mint, fresh (or dried)
* 1/2-1 cup Oil
* 2 Whole cardamom pods (black)*
* 2 Whole cloves*
* 2 Whole black peppercorns*
* 2 inch Cinnamon stick*
* 1 Bay leaf*
* 3 Cup Uncooked basmati rice*,wash and soaked in 6 cups cold water
* 3 Teaspoon Salt (second amount)
* 1 Teaspoon Saffron*
* 1/2 Cup Hot milk
* 1 Teaspoon Garam masala*
Fry the onions to golden brown and keep aside and crush it when cold. in same oil fry the potatoes. Prepare a mixture of crushed onions, potatoes, yogurt, mint, garlic, ginger, red chili powder, salt, and green chilies (if used).
Marinate the meat in the mixture prepared above for at least 3 hours.
In a separate vessel boil the rice along with cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, black peppercorns, garam masala and salt till the rice is half cooked.
In a big pot spread one thin layer of rice and marinated chicken. On the top put the remaining rice and remaining oil.
Sprinkle the saffron powder mixed with milk 2 or 3 places on top of rice.
Cover the pot tightly and put something heavy on it.
Initially cook on high flame for 5-6 min , later simmer and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Share this article