Bonza Beef Burgers
large sprig of parsley
1/4 small onion
300 g lean minced beef
2 tsp reduced salt tomato paste
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tbsp sunflower oil for cooking
pinch of black pepper, coarsely ground
2 lettuce leaves
4 round wholemeal rolls
tomato sauce or sweet chilli sauce
4 tsp mayonnaise (made from canola, sunflower, soybean or olive oil)
To make the meat patties
1. Wash the carrot and pat dry with the paper towels. Grate the carrot and put in the mixing bowl.
2. Finely chop the parsley and onion and add to the carrot.
3. Add the minced beef, egg, tomato paste and pepper and mix well with the wooden spoon.
4. Mix in enough oats to bring the mixture to a doughlike consistency.
5. Using your hands, shape the mixture into four rounds and then flatten out into patties.
6. Heat a frying pan or barbecue over a medium–high heat.
7. Add the oil and cook the patties until golden brown on one side.
8. Turn the patties over with the egg lifter and cook on the other side until golden brown and cooked through.
To make the hamburgers
1. Wash the tomato and lettuce and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Slice the tomato and shred the lettuce.
3. Cut the bread rolls in half and spread with the mayonnaise.
4. Place one meat pattie on each roll, then top with a little tomato sauce or sweet chilli sauce.
5. Top with the tomato, lettuce and the other half of the bread roll. Serve at once.
Share this article