Bold Berry Granita
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 lemon (up to 2)
- 1 pound(s) strawberries, hulled
- 1.5 cup(s) raspberries
- Make sugar syrup: In 2-quart saucepan, heat water and sugar to boiling on high, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, from lemon(s), grate 2 teaspoons peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice. In food processor with knife blade attached, blend strawberries and raspberries until pureed. With back of spoon, press puree through sieve into medium bowl; discard seeds.
- Stir sugar syrup and lemon juice and peel into berry puree. Pour into 9" by 9" metal baking pan.
- Cover and freeze mixture 2 hours or until frozen around edges. With fork, scrape ice at edges into center. Cover and freeze until completely frozen, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, let granita stand at room temperature 15 minutes or until slightly softened. With fork, scrape across surface of granita to form ice shards and spoon into chilled wine goblets or dessert bowls. Serve immediately. Makes about 5 cups.
Share this article