Arabic Salad Supreme (Tabbuli)
- 3/4 cup Burghul* (the smallest grain)
- 2 Large bunches of chopped parsley (Approximately 1 qt. when finally chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp Finely chopped fresh mint, optional
- 1/2 Bunch green onions, with green ends, finely chopped
- 1-2 Large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Small dried onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
Rinse burghul, drain, then squeeze excess water out. Place in large mixing bowl. First finely chop the parsley, mint, green onion and tomatoes. Place vegetables in layers on top of burghul, leaving dries onions on one-half of the top layer and diced tomatoes on the other.
Add seasonings to the dried onions and mix thoroughly. Add Lemon juice and toss with spoon and fork. And just before serving add oil and toss thoroughly.
This is eaten using very tender grape leaves, Romanian lettuce, or head lettuce to pick up in bit-size servings.
Note : Tabbuli may be prepared 1-2 hours ahead of time by omitting tomatoes and oil, just cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Add tomatoes and oil just before serving.
You can also soak burghul in lemon juice and salt after rinsing and draining it, better if you want to serve it instantly.
Share this article