A Small Selection of Imam Sajjad's (a.s.) Sayings
- :Muhammad Reza Dungersi
1) Once, one of his companions complained to him that out of jealousy some people whom he had served very well were treating him badly. The Imam gave him some advice which was:
* Guard your tongue and do not speak about people whatever comes out of your mouth, otherwise you will turn your friends into your enemies.
* Avoid saying things which the minds of people are not prepared to accept.
* He who does not have wisdom will be ruined by the a smallest thing (Mistake).
* What harm will come to you if you take all Muslims to be your family and your relations? Consider your elders to be your parents, those younger than you as your children and those of your age as your brothers. If you do so who is going to harm or abuse you?
* Whenever a thought comes in your mind that you are better than any other person, then think along these lines : If the person is older than you then remind yourself that this person is better than you in matters of Islam because he has done more good deeds than you have. If the person is younger than you then remind yourself that this person is better than you because he has committed less sins than you have. If he is of your age than your argument should be : he is better than you in matters of Islam since you know of your own sins but not of his.
* If people show respect to you, think that this is because the people are very good not that you are good. If the people say bad things about you, think that something is really wrong with you. If you live in this way, life will become pleasant for you, you will make many friends and your enemies will be few.
(2) The Imam said, "Do not have relationship with, nor talk with nor give company to 5 types of people:
* The Liar: because they are like mirage : With their words they show things different from what they really are. What is near they make it look far and what is far they make it look near. In this way, they take you away from truth.
* The Greedy and the Sinner: because you cannot rely on their friendship; for a small piece of food or even less than that, they will sell you.
* The Miser: because they will let you down when you need them most.
* The Fool: because even when they try to do you good, they will end you in difficulties.
* Those Who have cut relationship with their relatives, because Allah has cursed them in the Qur'an.
(3) Try to earn a high position in Paradise (Jannah).
Remember: Highest positions will be given to those who have been most useful to their brothers in faith and who have been most helpful to the needy.
Remember: There are times when a person says but one good sentence and that brings him very near to Allah and brings his freedom on the Day of Judgement.
Never think that what you do for your brother in faith is unimportant because these are the things that will be of much use to you on a day when nothing else will be of any use.
(4) Drinking (Alcohol and other forbidden drinks) and Gambling are such sins that they destroy the power to stop committing other sins.
(5) (Speaking) Good words increase a person's wealth and sustenance (Rizk), prolong his life, make him to be loved by his wife and children and take him to paradise.
Adopted from the book : "A Brief Biography of Ali bin Husain (a.s.)" by : "Muhammad Reza Dungersi Ph.D"
Share this article