Wisconsin Cauliflower-Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoon(s) (1/4 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- .25 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- .5 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 1 can(s) (13 3/4 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 head(s) (2 1/2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 1 package(s) (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, about 2 cups
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and 1 1/2 cups water; add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In blender (with center part of blender cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend cauliflower mixture at low speed in small batches until very smooth.
- Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in mustard and 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted and smooth. Garnish soup with remaining cheese to serve.
Share this article